Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Another setback

BUT I did get back to 30 miles this week, so I'm not too worked up about it.  My body is just being ornery and clearly doesn't want to do any kind of speed training.  All I have to do is think about doing speed or tempo and a new ache/pain shows up.  I now have zero official pace goals for the Bluegrass 1/2 on the 24th of September.  I just want to be able to run the race and feel good.  If I can just come out of this setback and NOT have another one...that would be great.

This week's setback was a knot in my right calf.  I felt fine until the last mile of my group run on Tuesday, and then I started getting twinges of a muscle cramp.  I immediately stopped trying to keep up with the guys and took it easy as I finished the run, but I guess it was already too late.  I'm not sure what caused the cramps.  Could have been dehydration, could have been related to the sore muscles from Wednesday's hike, could have been tweaked in Monday's TRX.  All I do know, is those muscle cramps turned into a knot in my calf that is still there today, although thankfully it seems to be almost worked out.  Today was the first run where it didn't feel like it was having a negative effect on the run, although I could still feel it lurking.

This week : 
M : yoga 20 min
run 5 / 8:10 / 289 ft
TRX 30 min 
swim 16:00 / 700 yds (rest every 50)
T : yoga 20 min
group run 6.1 / 8:18 / 449 ft
W : yoga 15 min
R : group run 6.2 / 8:41 / 571 ft
F : rest
 Sa : run 6.7 / 8:02 / 587 ft
Su : run 6.5 / 7:48 / 407 ft (3 w/Ben)
total miles : 30.5


This is what my calendar said for this week.
I don't think I ever even looked at this during the week.
I was going to do the tempo on Thursday, but scrapped it because of the calf pain.
I probably should have made myself bike at some point...oh well. 


I felt like I was kind of getting the hang of the swimming thing on Monday, I was actually managing to get that whole turn-head-to-the-side thing to breathe, but my legs were just dying.  My kick is the strongest part of my swim, so I got really confused as to why I was unable to kick myself efficiently across the pool.  Then I realized that my legs just wanted to be done for the day, since I had already run and done TRX.  So I called it quits and went to the hot tub to relax for a bit.  

Wednesday was day 10 in a row of my morning yoga streak, and it was also the first day of school.  I was proud of myself for getting up early enough to squeeze in some yoga before getting out the door by 7:20, but I decided 10 days was enough and I'm not going to torture myself to make time for yoga every day before school.  Consequently, I haven't done any yoga since Wednesday...  In another couple of weeks I'll be back to doing an after school yoga class once a week, so that will be good.  


No comments:

Post a Comment