Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Monday, March 18, 2019

Shamrock 4 miler 3/15/19

I debated entering this race for various reasons.  It was our weekend with the girls and it meant time away from them.  I am STILL coughing after a month and a half and after 6 days of steroids.  But I also wanted to do the race, to see some runner friends I don't see often anymore, and because I thought it might help wake up my legs after some sluggish runs.  In the end, of course I decided to run.  And I am so glad I did.  I've spent so much of the last 2 years focusing on marathon training and not running the shorter races, I'd forgotten how much fun it is to run a shorter faster race! 

This race starts at 7 PM, I guess to let the Friday evening rush hour traffic subside.  They shut down entire lanes for this race on 2 lane roads, which made traffic a disaster on the other roads for the duration of the race.  It was nice for us to have a whole lane to run in though and to not have to worry about cars at all!

We started out into the wind, but soon were on a mile long gradual downhill with a tailwind.  I had told myself I wasn't going to run toooo hard since that stupid cough still hasn't gone, but once I got started, I just couldn't help myself! (no surprise there...)  I kept the pace and my breathing as relaxed as I could for the first mile, but still clocked a 6:32.  (I didn't mean to look at my split but I glanced at my watch to check the mileage at the wrong time and saw the split...I didn't see any splits after that though.) I was feeling pretty good though, so I kept pushing, picking people off one by one.  Mile 2 went by in 6:43 and I was still feeling great.  I kept pushing, trying to speed up gradually as I went, knowing the race was short. There was a decently long climb in mile 3, but it was followed by more gradual downhill and I clocked a 6:45.  We had the headwind for all of mile 4, and the finish was a quarter mile on gravel path weaving in and out of the walkers, but I pushed to the finish and got a finish time of 27:27.  My heart rate was through the roof by the end of the race, and there was a brief coughing spell on the finish line, but overall I felt spectacular and now am itching to run some more shorter faster races. 

I finished 2nd place female, for which I was awarded the first place in my age group. 

It was great to catch up with my friend Mollie and run my warm up with her!  

1st place age group for me, 2nd place age group for her! 



No comments:

Post a Comment