Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Update

This past Saturday marked the first time that I was signed up for a race, and then didn't run it.  My foot hurt a lot during my run on the previous Tuesday, and I couldn't keep pretending it was going to work itself out.  I was going to run the race anyway, and make it some kind of "last hurrah" before a doctor told me I had to take some ridiculous amount of time off, but then I decided to be responsible for once.  The decision was made only slightly easier by the fact that I don't like 10k and it was my least favorite race... I did show up at the start line to pick up my t-shirt, and many runners expressed disappointment that I wouldn't be running.  I ran a few errands and then showed up at the finish line just in time to see the first 2 guys finish.  It was disappointing not to be running, but I know it was the right decision.

I went to the doctor this past Tuesday, and she didn't think anything was broken, but she sent me to get x-rays just in case.  I'm still waiting to hear the results from that.  In the meantime, I've been instructed to take ibuprofen 3xs a day, and I will be going to physical therapy to strengthen whatever is messed up in my foot.

The Blue Ridge Half Marathon is 9 days away, and I have no idea if I will be running in it or not.  I do know that if I run, I won't be nearly as competitive as I had hoped.  They changed the course this year, so I would really like to be able to run, at whatever pace, so that I will be familiar with the course next year (when hopefully I will be in top shape and ready to fight for the win).  Seeing as I have only run twice in the last 3+ weeks, and I haven't even exercised at all this week...I'm not sure I will be able to make it through 13 miles even if the doctor says it's ok.

I'm on spring break this week, but somehow I have felt even busier than I do when at school.  I spent the last 3 days babysitting, and today I head to NYC with a friend.  We are very excited, we're going to see Matilda on Broadway!  The not-so-fun part will be the part where I get home Sunday evening and have to race around getting groceries and preparing myself for a full week of school...

I dropped my bike off at the shop yesterday so it can get worked on while I am gone.  Even if I am able to start running again soon, I will need to continue cross-training as much as possible so as to allow my foot to get stronger without stressing it too much.  Bike is getting new tires, since it's current ones are rather dry-rotted, and I'm getting the whole shifting system replaced, because it has been driving me crazy.  Few things are more annoying than needing to shift gears while going up a long steep hill, and having the bike decided it "doesn't feel like it."  Sometimes it doesn't feel like shifting on the flats either, which is less annoying, but still not ok.  What's the point in gears if you can't shift them?


In other news, I just found out that after about 10 years, I have been bumped off the top-ten list for 3000m times at my high school.  I think my PR was 12:26, but I don't remember for sure.  Sometimes I think it would be fun to find out how fast I can run a 3000 now, but then I think about how it involves running circles around a track, and I change my mind.


Happy Almost Easter!  
The 1st/2nd grade class at my school dyed Pysanky eggs this year.  
(spell-check wants me to change "Pysanky" to "swanky")
They came out pretty cool-looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment