Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Sunday, September 22, 2013

7 runs in 6 days

I have abandoned the 20 miler plan.  It's not going to happen.  But I decided that to make up for not getting the long run, I would start doubling up once or twice a week.  This week the only day I doubled was on Wednesday, but it enabled me to get my weekly mileage above 40 for the first time in...18 weeks!  I was shocked when I went back and counted and found out how long it has been since I had 40 miles in a week.  I feel like I should be getting 40 every week, but I have been nowhere near it.  The closest I've come was 38, and that was 9 weeks ago.  Perhaps 40 is not realistic for me.  We'll see how this double-run plan goes.  Of course it will only work as long as I am still getting up at 4:50 in the morning for an early run.

This week:
M: 4.7 / 39:45 / 8:27 (15 squats, 12 lunges)
T: 4.7 / 39:25 / 8:23 (15 squats, 20 lunges, 10 pushups)
W: 4.7 / 39:12 / 8:20 (15 squats, 20 lunges)
7.17 / 55:14 / 7:42 (10 squats)
R: 4.7 / 37:18 / 7:56 (15 squats, 20 lunges)
F: 5.56 / 44:40 / 8:02 (20 squats, 20 lunges)
Sa: 11.01 / 1:26:14 / 7:49 w/Josh
Su: rest day
total : 42.54

I like this new plan of squats before my run and lunges afterwards.  The squats help get my legs ready to get out the door running, and the lunges are a nice extra little burn in my muscles after the run, and sometimes help loosen up anything that is still stiff after the run.  I definitely need to start doing more arm workouts as well.  I had the kids in PE do chin-ups the other day, and I went first.  I just barely got one chin-up.  I used to be able to do 5...

I've been purposely not pushing the pace in my runs because of the bad cough I got last week.  In Wednesday's second run this week, I jogged the first half, and was feeling pretty good, so I decided to up the pace for the second half.  It was the first time I felt like I was actually running instead of jogging, and it felt great to stretch out my legs for the longer stride.  It didn't really make me cough, so I upped the pace again on Thursday morning.  Friday I decided to run a little longer, and was contemplating 7 or 8 miles, but it started pouring rain 10 minutes in, and then as soon as I added the extra hill for the 5.56 loop my back started hurting, so I decided not to add anything else.  My shoes were squelching by that point and while rain doesn't bother me too much, I'm really not a fan of running in soaked shoes.  My back didn't bother me too much during Saturday's longer run, but then I tweaked it while cleaning my room Saturday afternoon... Might need to take another couple of days off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment