Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Meal Prep 9/3/18 : When life gives you bread that won't rise

...turn the dough into crackers!  


Leeks were on sale this week and caught my eye, so I decided to make potato-leek soup for lunch.  I had made rosemary bread a few nights ago with fresh rosemary from my garden and it was soooooo good I decided to make bread to go with the soup.  For protein, I took some of the leftover pulled pork barbecue from our wedding out of the freezer.  I also sauteed some brussels sprouts and cauliflower for extra veggies.



  For some reason, the dough refused to rise.  I have never had this happen before, so I have no idea what went wrong.  I did open a new jar of yeast, but I hope it's not full of dead yeast!  I guess I'll find out next time... I even tried mixing more yeast/warm water into the dough (using a different yeast) but that didn't work either.  Some google research revealed that I might be able to save the dough by turning it into crackers, so I decided to try it. 

I pulled a big handful of dough off, rolled it out, and used a very thin knife to cut it into rectangles.  I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper and placed the crackers on it.  They were very sticky!  I sprinkled them with pink sea salt and garlic powder, and baked them at 450 for 12 minutes.  For the second batch, I floured my work surface first, and then rolled out the dough.  No more stickiness, but the crackers were completely coated with flour.  I found the parchment paper was completely unnecessary with the floured crackers. 

Thankfully, the crackers came out pretty delicious, so that unrisen bread dough did not go to waste!  And instead of bread with our soup, we will be eating tasty crackers.  Maybe someday I'll make crackers on purpose...
pre-bake sticky crackers

post-bake cracker deliciousness

No comments:

Post a Comment