Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February Review

A pretty light month of running, and none of the serious marathon training I expected to do this month, but of course taking care of myself is more important!  I've eased my way back into consistent running as slowly as I could, and I'm now about 2 weeks pain-free and ready to try a 10 mile run this weekend.  Still taking training one day at a time though.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1 : 2/1 - 2/4 : run 4.6 miles, bike 10 miles
I ran in an icy crunchy winter wonderland on the 2nd, which was also a snow day for me!  I was on a 2 hr delay when I headed out for the run.  When I came back I decided to scrape the very thick layer of ice and snow off my car before showering, and halfway through the job I got the snow day call. 

Week 2 : 2/5 - 2/11 : run 22 miles, bike 10.6 miles
I started out the week with a brand new pair of orthotics!  I went for a run as soon as I got home from the appointment.  The run felt pretty good, but the very next day my foot hurt worse than it had in awhile, so that was rather worrying.  It didn't stop me from trying them out in a different pair of shoes the next day though.  I meant to take it easy all week as I knew the orthotics probably wouldn't be a magic instant cure, but somehow ended up sprinting a tough uphill on Tuesday and flying through a 5.5 run at sub 7:30 pace on Friday. 

Week 3 : 2/12 - 2/18 : run 26.3 miles
On the 13th I decided that my foot was strong enough to try a 6 miler.  It felt so good to do more than 4-5 miles!  By then I could tell that my trail Hokas were the best pair of shoes I had for my feet, and no longer trusted my Brooks, so I bought a pair of Hoka Cliftons.  I got to try them out in gorgeous 65 degree weather on the 15th.  Two days later I was running around Lewisburg in a mix of snow and rain. 

Week 4 : 2/19 - 2/25 : run 28.5 miles
This week was gloriously warm, and I loved getting to run in summer running attire!  I tried out an 8 mile run on Tuesday, had a really good 5 mile pick-up run ending below 7:00 pace on Friday, and did a good hill run on Saturday.  Breathing was getting a bit rough by the end of the week...I'm blaming spring allergies. 

Week 5 : 2/26 - 2/28 : run 16.8 miles
Not quite so warm this week, but at least it's not hat and gloves weather again.  Yesterday the guys said we were going to do 3 miles at 6:45 pace.  I wasn't sure how that would go for me, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.  The first mile was 6:25.  The second mile was 6:40, and I was struggling hard, but I managed to pull a 6:36 for the third mile.  (1.5 slight downhill, 1.5 slight uphill)  It's always a win if I can prevent the uphill mile from being the slowest!

Summer in February, what's not to love?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Year to date:
total run miles : 215
total bike miles : 76

No comments:

Post a Comment