Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Friday, January 31, 2020

Foodie Friday : Cooked veggie salad

Is this a food blog or a running blog?  Years ago I merged my food blog with my running blog...and now I post more about food than running!  I really do intend for this blog to be a little bit of everything, and there is a running update post in the works.  I just have to make some time to figure out what to say and get it typed up.  Apparently food is easier to write about. 


Run Club had a potluck on Wednesday and, no surprise, I did not remember it when I was grocery shopping on Sunday.  So Tuesday afternoon rolled around, I really did not want to go back to the store, and in addition to the bread I said I would bring, I wanted to bring something healthy because no one else had volunteered to bring anything healthy and I have pretty much become the designated healthy-food bringer.  I swear I'm not trying to be a healthy-food fanatic...I just know my body feels better when I eat vegetables! 

Anyway, I raided the fridge and freezer to see what I could make without going to the store.  I didn't want to make anything that needed to be hot, because I knew I couldn't keep it hot up until the time it would be eaten after we all ran, but I also didn't want to bring raw veggies because I hate raw veggies.  A quick google search confirmed that I wasn't the first person to think of serving a cold, cooked, veggie salad.  So I whipped one up. 


Cold Cooked Carrot Salad

1.5 lbs carrots
24 oz frozen cauliflower
6 oz frozen corn
2 tbsp (ish) minced garlic
olive oil 

for the dressing : Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and 18 yr aged Balsamic 


Chop the carrots into bite-sized pieces and sauté in olive oil.  Stir frequently to aid in even cooking. When they start to brown, add frozen corn.  Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until corn begins to brown.  Add minced garlic and cook for another minute or two.  Transfer to a large bowl.  Sauté frozen cauliflower until it is cooked through and the edges are browning.  Add to the bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature.  (I set it outside on the screened porch to help it cool faster...)  Drizzle with Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and Balsamic, stir well.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I finished running some people had already started eating and someone asked me if I made the cauliflower salad.  Yes, yes I did.  Although I prefer to think of it as a carrot salad.  It was a hit, and most of it got eaten, but thankfully there was a little bit left to enjoy at home the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment