Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

PUMPKIN!



Another one of my absolute favorite flavors.  Had a whole bunch of free time last night so what did I do...played in the kitchen til bedtime! Cooked myself some dinner and then decided that I still hadn't spent enough time in the kitchen. 
  
I've been craving pumpking muffins lately, so I dug out a big can of pumpkin from the back of my cabinet and whipped some up

2 eggs
1 c pumpkin
1 stick butter
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c brown sugar
1 3/4 c flour
chocolate chips

I did make a few alterations to the recipe this time...
  -instead of 1 3/4 c white flour, I used 1 c wheat flour and 3/4 white
  -I added 1/2 c quick oats
  -instead of mixing a whole bunch of chocolate chips into the batter, I put a few on top of each muffin

Bake at 350
   -45-55 minutes for bread
   - about 30 minutes for muffins
   -about 15 minutes for mini-muffins


Breakfast this morning was delicious! Eggs n bacon and a muffin.  And then another muffin.

After making the muffins, there was still a lot of pumpkin left, there were probably about 4 cups in that can originally.  I froze most of it, but I wasn't done playing in the kitchen yet.  I decided that I wanted to try making pumpkin sorbet. 

In a small saucepan, place 1 c water, scant 1/2 c sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, (stirring) then simmer for a little while, then let cool for a little while.  Stir in about 1/2 c pumpkin.  Put it in a glass container in the freezer overnight.  (I used 1 tsp salt...you can definitely taste it.  So I'm guessing on the 1 tsp...) 

It froze pretty well, but not quite rock hard.  I used a wooden spoon to shave it up in the dish for easier serving later.


No comments:

Post a Comment