Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Monday, January 16, 2012

Bagels


Today was my second attempt at bagel-making.  The first time, I made half of the recipe into cinnamon mini-bagels and half of it into garlic-herb sandwich bagels.  They came out pretty good, but they didn't rise very much and I thought they tasted too heavily of whole wheat flour.  This time, I used an extra 1/2 tsp of yeast and less whole wheat flour.



Recipe
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/4 cup warm milk
  * I only had 1/4 cup of milk left...so I used that, 3/4 cup heavy cream, and 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 egg yolk
3 3/4 cup flour (I used approx half wheat, half white)

combine ingredients, knead for awhile
let rise 1 hr
divide into 8 pieces, shape into bagels
set oven to 400
rise 10 minutes
flatten
drop one at a time into boiling water, remove when they float
bake for 20-25 minutes
   I baked them for 20 minutes, then flipped them over and baked them for another 5 minutes to brown the tops.







They make great sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment