Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Friday, February 24, 2012

Banana Cake w/ Dark Chocolate & Kiwi Glaze


Every now and then I attempt to bake a cake.  Most of these attempts result in a mess that is burned on the outside and raw on the inside.  I like to blame my oven for this, but sometimes I'm not entirely sure that it is actually the oven's fault.  Tonight though, I somehow managed to bake a perfect, delicious, cake. 

The Cake

1/4 c butter
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 over-ripe bananas
1/2 c milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 c brown sugar
2 c flour

grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.  (until toothpick comes out clean)

The Glaze

Cut 2 kiwis in half, scoop out the inside.  I let as much of the juice as possible drip into a glass.  Chop up the kiwi pieces.  Cook them for a few minutes in a saucepan, long enough for more of the juice to come out of the fruit.  Strain out the juice. 

Melt a dark chocolate bar or 2 in a saucepan.  Add the de-juiced kiwi chunks.  Stir well.  Spread on top of the baked cake. 



The Photos



The Notes

1- I used a combo of butter and oil because 1/4 c butter is all I had.  If I had more butter, I would have used just butter.

2- Since I didn't have any butter left after making the cake, I used bacon grease to grease the pan.  A part of me was hoping that I would be able to taste the bacon in the cake.  That part of me was let down.  No bacon taste.

3- I was going to add cream cheese to the glaze, but when I took it out of the fridge I discovered that it was a rather interesting shade of dark turquoise.  Looked like a great science experiment.  Not so great-looking for my cake. 

4- I don't eat dessert.  I had 2 pieces of this cake.  (Okay, I'll rephrase.  I don't eat dessert very often.)

5- The kiwi juice that I saved when I scooped the fruit out of the skin made a delicious cocktail with some strawberry vodka and club soda.  I love strawberry-kiwi flavored stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment