Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Sweet Potato Pierogies


Last year, we had our first snow day on December 10th and our second on January 7th.  This year, January 7th brought us our first snow day.  I woke up to a 1 hour delay because of the frigid temperatures, with a final decision to be made by 8:00.  8:00 went by and there was no word, so I figured I had better hurry up and get ready so I could get my car cleared and thawed in time to get to school for my early-arrival duty.  Then, hooray, the call came at 8:05, right before I started throwing on layers of warm school clothing.  So I happily stayed in sweats and curled up on the couch with a book for awhile.  And then I went for a run.  I was supposed to take today off, because I ran the last 8 days in a row, but I couldn't take a day off when it meant sitting on the couch all day.

After my run it was time to play in the kitchen, because I'm pretty sure that kitchen adventures are a snow-day staple.  My oven is out-of-order until Friday or Monday, so baking wasn't an option.  (I turned it on the other day, and several minutes later noticed fireworks going off inside it.  Turns out the heating element snapped in half...)  I had a sweet potato on the shelf that needed to be dealt with, so I decided sweet potato pierogies would be a delicious, fun, time-consuming project.

Pasta Dough
I used this recipe for the pasta dough, but I made everything smaller and used 2 eggs.  
And I added garlic powder, and skipped the cornmeal.

Filling
1 sweet potato, boiled and mashed with a spoonful of sour cream and a bit of butter
1/4 sweet onion, chopped and sauteed with 2 cloves minced garlic








The final product, boiled, lightly fried, surrounded by shaved carrots 
and drizzled with a ginger cream sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment