Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sopa del Día

I think I've found a new solution for un-appetizing leftovers...turn them into soup!  Strange solution, considering I'm not really a fan of soups...but perhaps they are growing on me.  Never as a stand-alone meal, but they're not bad along with a sandwich...

So, a week or so ago, I made that marinated chicken thing with barley and lentils.  There was A LOT of leftover barley and lentils.  I don't really like lentils, and I had hoped that mixing them with barley would help, but it didn't really.  I tried to eat those leftovers, and I choked down some of them, but they just were not appetizing.  At all.  I hate to waste food, so I really didn't want to just throw them out, but it was clear that I was never going to eat them. 

Yesterday, I was thinking about what to eat for dinner, and what to do with those horrible lentils and I thought...how about soup?  If I'm lucky, I can find enough tastier things to put in the soup so that I won't even be able to taste the lentils!

Chop and steam carrots and green onions with butter. 
Add some water, garlic and herbs/salt. 
Add some heavy cream, a big spoonful of sour cream w/chives, and a generous squirt of Jack Daniel's Mustard.
Put barley/lentil mixture in the blender, blend with water til smooth.  (I also poured in some apple-cider vinegar...just for kicks...)
Add barley/lentil mash to soup.  Add water and/or cream until desired consistency is reached.


Doesn't taste so strongly of lentils, although I can definitely still taste them.  Now it tastes too strongly of mustard...guess I should have gone a lil easier on that.  Though I suspect other people wouldn't mind the mustard-taste nearly as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment