Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Monday, February 20, 2017

Meal Prep Monday : 2/21-2/24

I actually did my meal prep on Monday this week!  I've been enjoying a nice President's Day off at home, after being in Asheville for most of the weekend.  I got to sleep in, do some reading, do some cooking, workout, and enjoy a run in 70+ degrees!

I went grocery shopping this morning, and while walking down the beans aisle towards the pasta I suddenly decided it was time to make another attempt to like lentils and beans.  I've never had any love for either one, so I'm not sure why I just decided to torture myself with both at the same time.  My main motive is that they are both high in protein, and much cheaper than meat.  I am never giving up meat, but I would like to be able to supplement it with other forms of protein, since it's so expensive.

Lunch This Week 


Chicken Breast
Mashed Potatoes
Black Beans
Red Lentils & Carrots

Chicken Breast : See last week's post.  I made 2 chicken breasts last week, and only portioned one of them into my lunches.  The other one is in this week's lunch. 

Mashed Potatoes : 3 small potatos, boiled and mashed with butter, milk, garlic powder, salt, and oregano.

Black Beans : Simmered til soft.  Then there were added to a skillet with sauteed onions, mashed, and cooked with some of the leftover broth that I cooked the chicken in last week.  I also added a large handful of chopped mushrooms. 

Red Lentils : Simmered til soft, with garlic powder and some roasted cumin powder.  They ended up a bit overcooked, as the bag said 15-20 minutes.  I checked them somewhere around 10 minutes and they were already going to mush.  I removed them from the heat, drained them, and let them sit while I chopped and sauteed 2 large carrots.  I then added the lentils to the skillet along with some more of the chicken broth, and stirred til the carrots were soft enough and the liquid was cooked off.  

The meal : A large spoonful each of potatoes, beans, and lentils.  A few small slices of chicken on top of the mashed potatoes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment