Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin Seeds


Weather is turning nasty outside.  It's been snowing on and off since early this morning, although it didn't start sticking until sometime in the last hour.  While the east coast is getting accosted by Hurricane Sandy, our forecast calls for a couple inches of snow.  (I've heard rumors of 2 ft, but I'm assuming they are just rumors).  I had my first snowy run today, it was like needles stabbing me in the eyes.  Not fun.  Also, I'm pretty sure there's an unwritten rule somewhere that says it can't snow while the leaves are still colorful.

Last night, a friend and I carved some pumpkins.  It occurred to me the other day that it had been about 10 years since the last time I carved a pumpkin, and I thought it might be fun.  Here's mine:


Steak knives make good pumpkin-carvers. 

I almost left the pumpkin with just "13.1" but I decided it needed something more.  I thought about trying to carve a stick-figure runner next to it, but decided that was beyond my expertise, so I just added "run."

We were drinking Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat while carving pumpkins, because it's delicious and seemed fitting.  So the other pumpkin ended up with the Shock Top logo on it. 





PUMPKIN SEEDS

I had a big pile of pumpkin seeds that we dug out of the pumpkin guts, 
rinsed, and left to dry overnight

I divided them roughly in half, and toasted 1/2 in the oven and the other 1/2 in a skillet.

OVEN SEEDS
melt 1 tbsp butter in a bowl, and sprinkle the melted butter with cinnamon and cocoa powder
add the seeds to the bowl and toss until coated
spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally



SKILLET SEEDS
toast the seeds in a skillet, stirring to avoid sticking
when they are toasty, add 2 tbsp butter. 1/4 c brown sugar, and some cinnamon
stir well until caramelized


I hope everyone is staying safe, warm, and dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment