Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Sunday, July 31, 2016

South Peak Hill Challenge

I normally would not travel for a sub 2 mile race, but this race had "hill challenge" in the title...so there was no way I was going to pass.  And thanfully, I was able to stay with a Sweet Briar friend so I didn't have to spend a lot of money for the trip.

Saturday morning was warm and foggy with 100% humidity.  In other words, gills would have been really, really, useful.  I parked up at the Hilton Garden Inn (finish line) and jogged down the hill to Lowe's/Fleet Feet (start line).  I also jogged around the big Lowe's parking lot, and back up the hill a bit to prepare my legs for the onslaught to come.


The starting line was partway up a hill.  No flat beginning to build up speed.  Not sure why it didn't just start at the bottom to at least get the full hill, but that's ok.  There was plenty of hill in the race!  My lungs were struggling big time by the top of the hill, but thankfully there was some downhill to recover on before powering up the next one.  I moved into the top 3 runners pretty quickly.  The whole race was up and down, and the hills were steep.  A great challenge.  Breathing was rough and of course my legs hurt from the crazy hill strain, but I just kept reminding myself that it was only 2 miles.  (and it actually turned out to be only 1.8)

heres a great picture of me dying on the very first hill


my heart may or may not have been beating out of my chest...

 hills!

twisty turny course


The finish was a full loop around the hotel.  I was in third at the beginning of the loop, but then I heard someone's footsteps speed up to an even faster sprint behind me, and a guy flew by me.  I let him go.  And then another one flew by me.  And another!  Three guys who had way too much energy for dead sprints at the end of the race.  Perhaps it was pure ego-filled speed.  Can't get beat by a girl!  I finished strong and was really pleased with the race overall.

They clocked me 2 seconds faster than my watch...also the pace is way off.  
I'm guessing the pace was based off of a full 2 miles.


flying down a hill and forcing out air to make room for the next attempt at oxygen

after my 2 mile cooldown


The Hilton treated all the runners to a nice breakfast buffet, so race recovery was bacon, eggs, and home fries!  Deliciousness. It was freezing in the room we ate in after sweating outside, but I didn't quite get hypothermic.  
Of course in my frenzy to leave home on Friday I forgot to pack a long sleeve shirt...


 Awards Ceremony
I finally have a medal hanger that will fit all my medals!
"Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world"


Apparently I'm the female course record holder...because they changed the course from whatever it was last year.  Hopefully I will be able to come back next year to defend my title and set a new course record!

No comments:

Post a Comment