Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Monday, April 30, 2018

April Review

Week 1 : 4/2 - 4/8 : run 35.2 miles
I finally got my 20 mile run done!  Exactly 4 weeks before the marathon.  I was rather sluggish for the whole run, but I was able to stay in good spirits throughout.  I ended up with an 8:41 average pace, which is not great, but at least it was under 9:00!

Week 2 : 4/9 - 4/15 : run 18.3 miles
I started off the week easy with a 3.7 mile shakeout run, then took 2 days off to let my legs recover from the 20 miler.  Thursday I expected to do an easy 4 miles with the guys but they apparently changed their minds about going easy...I ended up with a 7:19 average pace.  Probably faster than I should have been going, but it was a relief to know that after weeks of sluggishness I could get my legs to move faster!  Friday was another easy short run, and then on Saturday I ran the Chocolate Chase 10k in Lewisburg.  I did a good job of keeping it at a tempo pace instead of race pace, and was pleased with how it felt.

Week 3 : 4/16 - 4/22 : run 30.7 miles
Blue Ridge week! Monday was a short and easy but super windy run.  On Tuesday I skipped run club in favor of a solo 7 miler to see how my legs were doing.  I enjoy running with others, but have missed running alone, and I find that I need to really run my own pace once in awhile.  I find it impossible not to be influenced by others when running in a group.  On Wednesday I did a long overdue hip strengthening yoga practice, and on Thursday I did a short track workout with Corey to make sure my legs were ready to go for Saturday's race.  We did 2 sets of 600/400/200.

Saturday was my 8th running of the Blue Ridge 1/2 marathon and despite my misgivings going into it, it went super well!  I didn't start pushing the pace at all until the 2nd half of the race, and it paid off big time.


Week 4 : 4/23 - 4/29 : run 22 miles
Easy shakeout on Monday, followed by Tuesday on the couch. Easy 4 mile group run on Wednesday, slightly faster group run on Thursday, Friday off to pack for a 5 day field trip in GA plus a few days in PA.  On Saturday I ran a point to point 10 miler, for my last real mileage before the Pittsburgh Marathon.  Hoping to get in a short run or two while in GA, but not sure if the schedule will allow for it.  At least I will be getting exercise with kayaking and paddle boarding and canoeing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment