Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pumpkin Scones

Have I mentioned lately that I love trying new things in the kitchen?  Tonight was my first scone-making adventure.  I've been wanting something new for breakfast, this will be a nice change.  I love my chocolate-chip pancakes, but they do get old after awhile...

I recently subscribed to an email list that sends me weekly recipe ideas.  This week's had a recipe for Sweet Potato Scones that caught my eye.  I would have actually made Sweet Potato Scones if there had been any sweet potatos in my kitchen.  But I've been starting to crave pumpkin bread lately, and I did have a can of pumpkin in the cupboard, so I decided to make pumpkin scones.



Here's my adapted recipe:

1 c wheat flour
2 1/2 c white flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 c pumpkin
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c milk
1 egg

Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl (or a 2 c glass measuring cup).  Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Put the resulting dough onto a floured work surface and pat it down until it's a bit less than 1/2 inch thick.  Cut out some scones.  You can use a biscuit cutter, or you can be "creative" like me and just use a knife to cut out the scones. 
Put the scones on a greased cookie sheet.

Press some toppings into the scones if you wish. 
 I put sunflower seeds on some, and chocolate chips on the rest. 
Bake at 410 for 12 minutes. 






Delicious.  I think these will go nicely with some scrambled eggs for breakfast tomorrow.

Breakfast success.  Popped a chocolate-chip pumpkin scone in the microwave for 20 sec to warm up the chips, then drizzled it with some hershey's special dark chocolate syrup.  Fabulous.








No comments:

Post a Comment