Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pita Bread

A few weeks ago, The Beeroness posted a recipe for pita bread.  It had never occurred to me before to make a pita bread, but I loved the idea.  I have made bread and rolls that work for sandwiches, but I haven't loved any of them for sandwiches.  Pita bread is great for sandwiches though, so I was excited to try it out.  Also, I got to try using the dough hook attachment on my mixer for the first time.  Wow was that so much easier and less messy than kneading bread by hand...


Ingredients
1 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c white flour
1 envelope rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp salt
1 c Killian's Irish Stout



Directions
Combine the dry ingredients in the mixer.  Heat the beer in the microwave until it reaches 120 degrees.  Add it to the mixer and mix it until smooth.  It only took a few minutes in my mixer.  Cover the dough and let it rise for an hour (mine ended up rising for more like 2 hours because I was busy).  Knead the risen dough with a little bit of flour, then divide it into 8 chunks.  Flatten each chunk as thin as possible.  Heat a non-stick skillet, and cook the pitas one at a time.  Cook for a few minutes on each side.  




Rip a pita in half, and carefully slice each half open.  
Fill it with some yummy chicken salad.  


I'll be having pita sandwiches for lunch this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment