Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Friday, March 6, 2015

Corn-Tomato Chowder



I eat so few canned or processed foods anymore.  The only big exception is the canned tuna that has become a lunch-staple this year.  (I have recently started mixing boiled eggs into my tuna salad so that maybe I will give myself slightly less mercury poisoning...) But I still haven't moved away from cans when I'm making chowder. And I probably never will.  Besides, I don't really have anything against canned food, other than fresh is always better, especially taste-wise.  I do always compare labels before choosing my cans.  Generally whichever one has the lowest sodium content is the winner.  I don't care what everyone tells me about how I'm a runner and I need lots of sodium and it is impossible for me to consume too much.  I beg to disagree.  I drastically reduced my sodium intake a few years ago, and I have definitely felt better ever since.  But I digress.

I wanted to cook something different tonight. Yesterday was a snow day.  This morning the roads were too icy for school, so we lost another day. I really needed an extra day of weekend last weekend.  I don't particularly feel the need for 4 days stuck in the house this weekend, but oh well.  At least I'm getting out for a run every day.  Anyway, I just spent two days cooped up in the house and the most exciting thing I made was a gouda omelette.  Exciting, but not particularly time-consuming or blog-post-worthy.

Corn-Tomato Chowder
3 large carrots, chopped
1/2 head of garlic, minced
olive oil
ginger powder, turmeric powder, smoked paprika, oregano, sea salt
1 can yellow corn 
1 can creamed corn
1 can tomatoes (mine were basil/garlic/oregano)
1 can evaporated milk

Put the carrots, garlic, and a few tablespoons of olive oil into a dutch oven.  Cover on medium heat and let the contents steam for a few minutes.  When the carrots are no longer hard, remove the lid and add seasonings, to taste. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened (oil has been absorbed, water from the steam has evaporated).  Add the corn and tomatoes.  Stir well, then let simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Add the evaporated milk, stir well, simmer for another 5-10 minutes.  


I added some quinoa, shrimp, and mushrooms to my bowl of soup for dinner this evening. 
And some avocado of course, but I forgot to add that til after I was done with the camera.




No comments:

Post a Comment