Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Channels Natural Area Preserve : 1/7/2018

I bought myself some hiking boots for Christmas and today I got to try them out!  I am happy to say that they fit perfectly with my thick wool socks and kept my feet dry and toasty warm on a cold hike through a bit of snow.

It was a cold and windy afternoon up at the Channels today, but at least the temperature wasn't in the single digits like it has been for the last week!  The hike up was a good 3 mile uphill which helped me stay warm, but once we got into the rock channels and up in the open on top, the wind was brutally cold, which resulted in me not lingering long to take photos!  It will be a great place to go back to on a warmer day though.



The hike wasn't on difficult terrain, as it was all on forest road like this.  There were only a few icy spots, but they were easy to walk around on the edge of the road.  There was a stretch that was steep enough to make my calf muscles start burning, but other than that it was an easy walk. 

I love walking through rhododendron tunnels!
I also enjoy having someone else along to take photos of me so I don't have to do so much back and forth with the tripod...




It's too bad the old fire tower is in bad disrepair and much too dangerous to climb...

The Channels rock formations.  
 Lots of different pathways through them, 
it would be easy to get lost if you don't have a good sense of direction!



Since jumping photos are now a standard part of my adventures, it stands to reason
 that anyone who hikes with me must also take part.  
I'm pretty proud of us for getting the timing perfect on the first try! 


No comments:

Post a Comment