Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

TRX Tuesday

In case you didn't already know, TRX is my all-time favorite workout.  It can be used to work out your entire body, you can take it with you just about anywhere, and it is highly adaptable to your fitness level.

When I was first introduced to TRX, it was being taught at 5:30 in the morning at my gym.  And I went to that class twice a week, without fail.  There were some days when I drove through snow to get there and got the snow day call in the middle of the workout.  That class was where I met Jim Moore, who became my running buddy and went to both my first half marathon and my first marathon with me.  We may or may not have been running together for a full month or more before admitting that we didn't know each other's names... introverts unite!  

Eventually I pushed myself too hard and ended up quitting TRX due to back pain, but I missed it, and it was years before I was able to find my way back.  I ended up making my own straps out of odds and ends at some point, and then a few years later I bought some real ones.  I don't get to an actual class very often, but I do try to do a workout on my own every week or two.  It is great strength training for runners! 

Here are two core-strength combos I like to do when I am feeling too busy or lazy to fit in a full workout.  I do about 3 sets of each, to failure.  

Knees to Chest Combo
(knees to center, right, center, left, repeat)



-adjust foot cradles so the bottom of the cradle is about mid-shin height
-lay on stomach and place toes through cradles
-raise yourself up on your hands so that arms are straight and hands are positioned under shoulders
-while in this plank position, feet should be directly under or slightly in front of the anchor point

Atomic Pike
(alternate push-up with pike)


-start in the same position as for the knees to chest combo
-do a pushup
-as you come out of the push-up, raise your butt into the air, keeping legs and back straight
-raise as high as you can, then straighten back into plank position as you lower into the next push-up

You can tell that push-ups are not my strength...especially not as my arms fatigue.  
I really need to work on that...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's your go-to workout when you are in a hurry?
Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment