Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Awesomeness Bread



It's probably been over a year now since the day I was stumbling around on StumbleUpon and found this recipe for Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart Bread on Joy the Baker.   I saved the page, and planned on making it...someday...  I had no idea it would take me this long to get to it.  Every now and then, I have gone back to that page, read through the recipe, thinking I would make it, and then changed my mind for whatever reason.

Tonight, as I was lying on the couch reading, and realizing that I was not going to fall asleep any time soon, I decided it was time to finally try the recipe out.  Of course, since I'm me, I didn't quite follow the original recipe.  You can use the link above to find the original.  Here's what I did:

Awesomeness Bread

Ingredients (Dough)
1/3 c heavy cream*
1/4 c water
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 c whole wheat flour
2 c white flour
2 eggs

*the original recipe calls for milk, but when I opened my milk bottle it was...not pleasant.  
So I used cream instead.



Ingredients (Filling)
1/2 stick butter
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1+ tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 square of chocolate (86%), grated



Instructions
Heat the cream, water, and butter in a small saucepan until the butter is almost melted.  Remove from heat and continue stirring until the butter is completely melted.  In a bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and salt.  Add the heated liquids, stir til combined.  Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, cinnamon, the wheat flour, and 1 c of the white flour.  Stir well.  Beat the eggs and add them.  Stir/knead with wooden spoon until well combined.  Add another scant cup of white flour.  Knead until smooth.  Cover and let rise for 1 hr. 

Preheat the oven to 350.

After an hour, knead a few tablespoons of flour into the dough and roll it out.  Melt 1/2 stick butter on the stove until it begins to brown.  Spread it over the rolled out dough.  Mix together the remaining filling ingredients, then sprinkle them over the dough.  Cut the dough into rough rectangles and stack them up.  Turn the stack on its side and place in a loaf pan. 
(I lined my loaf pan with tin foil for easy post-bake removal)




There was a whole bunch of filling left on the cutting board after I put the dough in the loaf pan, so I gathered it up and sprinkled it on top. Yum. 



Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is turning brown.


Look at all that oozy chocolaty goodness on the bottom...



No comments:

Post a Comment