Food, Fitness, Photography

Food, Fitness, Photography

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Veggie-Tuna Salad


Occasionally, it occurs to me that I'm not quite eating as many fruits and vegetables as I should be.  I do a pretty good job of having some sort of fruit/veggie at lunch and dinner, and once-in-awhile some fruit makes it into my breakfast, but sometimes my dinner is mysteriously veggie-free, and I often end up with 3-4 servings of fruits/veggies per day, instead of 3-4 serving of each per day.

Since I'm not a huge fan of vegetables, I've started trying to find ways to sneak more of them into my meals. My current veggie-favorite is Carrot-Ginger soup.  I've made several variations of it.  Some use heavy cream, some use veggie stock, some are thickened with pumpkin, some with sweet potato.

Yesterday, I was mixing up a batch of tuna salad and making a macaroni salad.  While grating a carrot for the macaroni salad, it occurred to me that I could grate a carrot into the tuna salad, which wouldn't really be taste-able, but would add just a bit more vegetable to my meal. (Probably a negligible amount, but every little bit counts, right?)



Vegetable - Fortified Tuna Salad
12 oz can of tuna, drained
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 large spoonful mayonnaise
2 large spoonfuls relish

I've found that cucumber slices go well with tuna.  
They are also good on turkey sandwiches.




No comments:

Post a Comment